Saturday, November 13, 2010

Catch up

Potomac Heritage Trail 50K

So...I realize that I haven't posted anything since at least last week.  Bryan and I signed up to do the Potomac Heritage Trail 50k Run/Hike.  They should have put CLIMB in there too...and for me...trip, fall, sprain your knee...Yeah, that's what happened.  I didn't make it all the way through the 31 miles, but I did get 15 under my belt before Bryan told me I wasn't doing anymore.  By the time it got to that point, he was helping me down all of the hills because putting pressure on my knees going down was agonizing.  I'm not stressing it for sympathy or to spice up the post...it really was agonizing pain.  When we got home I assessed my injuries.  A bruise was starting on the inside of my left knee, scrape on my right knee, scratches on my right thigh, scrapes on my hands, knees throbbing.  Even my hips were sore, but that's because they'd never done more than 6.5 miles before.  The next day when I got up it was worse!  The bruise on my left knee was hideous and there were bruises speckling down my right leg.  I didn't even see those when I did my original assessment.  

My knees were hurting so bad that I decided to make an appointment with the doctor.  Bryan took me to see him and let me just say...I wouldn't have walked out of the office if he hadn't.  I know the doctor was doing his job and all...bending my knees here and there and in and out and all over the place...but seriously, I could barely walk back to the car.  I had to lean on Bryan to ease the pressure off of my knees.  They hurt worse when I left than when I went in!  I sprained the ligament on the outside of my left knee.  FUN!  They made me go get xrays too.  That wasn't fun.  I'm just grateful the doctor gave me some pain medication.  I might have broken down and started crying in his office if he told me to deal with it, lol.  I'm a wimp.  

Anyway...not to make the run out to be something completely horrible...because it wasn't horrible at all.  I'm just clumsy.  The trail was fun.  Climbing the rocks was fun...dangerous, but fun!  The river was beautiful.  The weather was beautiful.  The lack of kids fighting was BEAUTIFUL!  Bryan and I hardly ever get time out to ourselves so we really enjoyed just listening to the sounds around us.  And not ONE of those was a kid arguing!  It was great!  I would so totally do it again!  And I plan to do it again next year with Bryan.  I just have to work on watching where I am going so I don't trip over tree roots, lol.  I made it half way through the trail and I was going fine...the only thing that held me back from completing was falling and hurting myself.

So...who wants to see pictures?  I mean...those who haven't already seen them on my Facebook.















3 comments:

  1. I like how you had the pictures going side to side :) I'm sorry you got busted up so bad :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta fix the one picture. It didn't go where it was supposed to and kept giving me grief. I'm doing alright now. Should be able to start running again on Monday.

    ReplyDelete