Sunday, March 8, 2015

It's a new day!

Everyone stumbles and everyone falls, but does everyone try to get up and carry on?  I am no different that anyone else.  I will be the first to admit that I have fallen off the wagon...so far in fact that I don't see the wagon anywhere in sight...I guess it's time to start chasing it down and hopping back on.  Time for the train that's been parked at Pity Station for the last couple of years to move on.  I don't blame anyone for me letting myself go.  I could say it's because I'm too busy, and I am definitely busy, but I won't blame not taking a little bit of time out of my day for myself improvement on anyone but myself.

Starting today I'm going to do a few things that I think will help me along this path to better health.

1. I'm going to carry my notebook around again.  For some reason physically writing down what I'm eating is more effective than putting it into my phone.  It's great for people that can hold themselves true with an app, but I'm just not one of those people.  I guess my brain just doesn't process it that way.  I prefer the old fashioned way...eeeeep...does that mean I'm getting old??  Oh dear...let's not think like that.  Anyway, the idea is to eat better.

2. I'm going to start carrying a water bottle everywhere I go.  I have not been drinking nearly the amount of water that I should be.  Certainly can't improve my health or my weight if I'm not drinking enough water.  Of course the bottle is teal...I mean why wouldn't it be?!  Why would it be teal you ask?  My oldest two daughters are competitive cheerleaders and their team colors are teal, black, and white.  So, naturally everything must be teal...duh.  On a side note...I've noticed that I buy a whole lot of teal these days without even thinking about it...my new shoes are teal-ish.  How did that happen...

3. I need to make an effort on my appearance even if I'm only going to the grocery store.  I've noticed that on the days I actually take the time to do my hair and makeup and wear something more than my sweat/yoga/pajama pants that I feel better about myself.  I'm no different than a lot of women.  I tend to be very down on my image in the mirror.  It's not a healthy mindset and it certainly won't help me get to where I want to be.  Besides...playing with makeup is fun and I love love love jewelry!

4. 20-30 minutes of physical activity needs to be added to every single day.  It's not much and it'll help get me started.  It's been said that it takes up to 6 weeks for something to become a habit.  So, I'll need a reminder everyday...which I will set in my phone, because I can certainly hear those going off and I can easily find something active to do in this house for a short amount of time.  I've got the treadmill downstairs...which is great for catching up on reading (if you don't trip while you're walking and not watching where you're going...).  I've got the Wii and my favorite boxing game that does the trick.  We own all sorts of different video programs (P90x, Hip Hop Abs, Insanity, ...etc)  There's plenty to do...just need to do it!  After I'm used to doing the exercise again, I'll increase it.

So, enough about that...on to Super Mom daily activities...what's changed for this family and myself?  Well...where to start.  Bryan and I decided to take the kids out of public school.  We've been homeschooling them for the last 2 months.  They are responding really well and we get to spend more time together as a family.  The girls (oldest 2) are in competitive cheer.  Natalie is on her second season, while Allyson is on her first.  She decided last year to quit gymnastics and join cheer.  She loves it!  We're trying to find Kaelyn her own little niche...she doesn't really want to do cheer, but everything else we offer to let her try she turns down.  She's just not understanding that couch potato is not an option!  Melody likes tumbling.  She's started at the same gym Natalie and Allyson go to.  Gabby will be 3 at the end of this month (tear...) and we'll start considering what to put her in as well.  We like to keep the girls active.  It's better for their bodies, it's better for their minds.  They have friends at their gym and they like it.

I'm running a partial daycare at home.  Right now I'm keeping one little boy during the day and put his sister on the bus in the morning and keep her in the afternoon when she gets home from school.  We're hoping to add 1 or 2 more full time kids to increase income a little.

Bryan and I celebrated our 11th anniversary last month and my birthday is coming up next month.  I'll be 29 for the 3rd year in a row!  How lucky is that!  Delusional...no, I'm not delusional...honest with myself...nope...not that either.  I refuse to get old.  Simple as that!

My brother moved in with us.  The girls love it.  His name is Dylan, but the girls call him Uncle Pickle...Dyl...dill...pickle...dill pickle...Uncle Pickle...that's pretty much how it happened.  I may have persuaded them to call him that...but it's still funny.  He's embraced his new nickname, the move to our house, and the girls as well.  They all love having their own personal jungle gym, wrestling partner, and tickle monster around the house.  Gabby all but has all the men in her life wrapped around her fingers...it's pretty funny.  With Dylan here we have an entire group of nerdy gamers. Dylan, Bryan, Natalie, Allyson, and myself. Whether it's board games (Risk, Dominion, Settlers of Catan, other brainy games) or MMORPGs (look it up) World of Warcraft mostly, we all have a good time together.  Yes, we're nerdy people.  Bryan and I have been nerdy forever...Dylan too really.  Might as well pass it on to the kids. No harm in teaching them how to think fast and use their brains to their advantage!

I guess that's enough for now.  I feel like I've typed out a book.  Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment