Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Starting a Recipe Collection

When I decided it was time for me to shed some pounds and get myself in shape I had to change the way i ate.  I've already done a blog about the general foods I include in my diet all the time.  Well...those items don't make up a recipe do they, lol.  Well, I figured I'd put out a few recipes that my family loves.  They aren't my own creations, but I do change them up a little bit. I give Ellie Krieger 99% of the credit here.  She makes some great food.

The first one is my absolute favorite...Oven fried chicken.  Everyone loves fried chicken.  But we also know that all the oil and breading isn't good for you.  Well...let's change it up and make it healthier.  


To change it up and make it cook quicker...because let's face it...when we're hungry and have hungry screaming kids...we don't want to wait 45 minutes for chicken to bake.  I advise not using the thighs.  Just go for the chicken breast and cut it into strips.  That cuts the cooking time down to 20-25 minutes instead of 45.  I also advise you to cook these on a baking rack on top of your baking sheet.  It helps to keep the bottom of the tenders from getting soggy.  No one likes soggy (supposed to be crispy) chicken!  Don't forget to spray the rack.  The only other thing I change about this recipe is the mustard.  I personally don't like Dijon mustard so I use spicy brown mustard instead. 

My second favorite is a chili.  Again...hats off to Ellie Krieger.  She's great.


I don't really do anything drastic to change this.  I love it the way it is.  Depending on how "spicy" we're feeling that evening...and the next because it makes enough to feed my family twice...I'll change how much of the adobo sauce I add to it.  Other than that, I leave it alone.  It's wonderful with some whole grain tortilla chips.  And guess what...it's football season!  It makes a great snack for parties.

And my last is a vegetable...because where would we be without them!


The only thing I can say is try to get the slices as even as possible.  Don't cut them too thick because they won't get crispy.  A mandolin works wonders here at keeping the zucchini slices even...too bad I broke mine, lol.  Oh, and if you like a little spice...try adding just a pinch (and I do mean just a pinch) of cayenne pepper to it.  

I hope you try and enjoy these recipes.  They're delicious and I love them!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds tasty! I'll make sure to bring people this way if they're wondering what to cook for dinner :D

    ReplyDelete