Monday, September 27, 2010

5 Miler update!

My previous road time for 5 miles was 72 minutes (previous treadmill was 66).  Today I ran the Navy 5 Miler race in 65 minutes!  I cut another 7 minutes off of my road time and a minute off of my treadmill time!  Awesome!  It's my personal best.  The hills (that might as well have been mountains...) were constant.  I kid you not!  I dreaded the 3 mile mark.  The next half of a mile was all uphill.  UGH!  I'm just glad a lot of the race doubled back because I got to go downhill as well, lol (i.e. the second half of the 3rd mile was all downhill).   That helped my time alot.  

The weather yesterday wasn't the best, but it wasn't the worst either.  It was 65 degrees and overcast for a while.  Then it started drizzling.  That wouldn't have bothered me, but it got really humid.  They humidity messes with my asthma pretty bad.  I probably would have finished the race a lot faster if it wasn't for the humidity and the never ending hills!  That and the fact that for the first 5 minutes of the race we were shuffling until people started to spread out more.  

I have to say that runners are some of THE most supportive people I've ever seen (apart from your family).  The whole time there are people cheering you on and offering water.  The runners that finish first come back to support and cheer for you.  Food and water was provided for everyone too.  There were also photographers taking pictures all throughout the race.  Not sure when those are gonna be posted.  

Sorry I couldn't finish this last night, lol.  I started writing it and was just too tired to finish.  It wasn't because of the race though.  It was because I had to get up at 5 in the morning!  Now that was killer.  Bryan and I were both too excited to go to bed early.  I crashed at 9:00 last night.  Those who know me, know that 9:00 is really early for me.  For more than a month I haven't been able to go to sleep until at least midnight.  I've tried, but I always manage to be awake until at least then.  I've gotta start forcing myself to get out of bed earlier.  We got up at 7:30 this morning, but still...gotta get up earlier so I can hopefully go to bed earlier.

I've got pictures of my shirt!  PLEASE excuse the very bad hair day.  My shirt was big too.  I still look really tired.  My eyes were swollen when I went to bed last night because I was so tired.


*Revision: I just found out now that 65  minutes was the time it took me to get over the finish line.  But the total time run (from actually stepping over the starting line to the finish line) was 64 minutes.  Bryan and I were kinda in the back of the pack starting off!

No comments:

Post a Comment