Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Reform - Day 2

Today has been a rather unproductive day.  I managed to get absolutely nothing done around the house.  BUT!  I did get Natalie's lesson done.  She's 74 lessons from being done with Kindergarten.  Next year Bryan and I plan to put the girls in the new charter school they're building here on base.  Natalie will go to first grade and Ally will start Kindergarten.  We'll see how their Kindergarten matches up to what Natalie is doing now.  From what we've been reading about the plans for the school, it's supposed to be pretty advanced.  I just want my girls to get a good education.  

So, now that our situation is changing, I have been able to put in applications to some jobs here on base.  Keep your fingers crossed for me that something comes through.  I'm in desperate need of some time outside of these walls.  Don't get me wrong, I love my girls, but I need to see something other than my constant surroundings and talk with people whom hold conversations on things other than Barbies and My Little Ponies.  I'd also love for every other sentence I hear not to be "mommy, she hit me!" LOL.  Although Kaelyn is getting pretty good at that one.  The other day she tried to blame her cousin for hitting her...her cousin whom was still on the Eastern Shore 80+ miles away!  

Anyway...Day 2 of the diet and I'm still doing well.  I'm going to give a rundown of the snacks I normally like to run to.  

My favorite snacks have always been potato chips.  Mostly salt and vinegar potato chips (UTZ please!), but I'm a fan of many other flavors.  So to keep from busting my diet wide open with the terrible amount of calories and unneeded saturated fat...
  • 100 calorie packs (snack mix, cheese nips)
  • 100 calorie packs Pringles (regular, cheddar, and sour cream & onion)
  • 100 calorie packs Synder's Garden Veggie Crisps
  • Orville Redenbacher's Light Butter popcorn.  It's only 15 calories per cup of popped popcorn! (and it's 100% whole grain)
  • fresh veggies (LOVE the crunch of a fresh vegetable)
Now, those of you that read my blog posts and know me, know I'm married to Bryan...the living sweet tooth.  So to curve the sweet tooth...
  • 100 calorie packs cookies.  There are tons of different kinds.  Right now I have a fudge cookie with a mint coating.  LOVELY!
  • Edy's Fruit Bars.  Strawberry in my freezer at the moment.  80 calories per bar.  What I love most about them is that you get chunks of strawberries in them.
  • Fresh fruit.  Now, you know I couldn't leave that out!  I love my fruit.  Apples especially.  Crunchy and sweet.  My favorite apples are Gala and Fugi.  
No diet would be complete without some good quality protein.  I've got a few snacks up my sleeve for that as well.

  • Chobani Greek Yogurt.  Peach is my favorite.  140 calories and 0 grams of fat.  There's 14 grams of protein in one little 6 oz container!
  • Polly-O Mozzarella String Cheese.  Love it.  I have to peel it just like a kid.  80 calories and 7 grams of protein.  
  • Soy Nuts.  GASP...I don't have any left in my pantry...well that's just fail...I'll have to get some more so I can post on them too.  Soy nuts are an acquired taste I guess you'd say, but once you decide you like them it's hard to get away from them.
So there you have it...my snack list.  These are the things I normally go for during the day.

Here's Day 2 of my food and exercise journal

Food
Breakfast- oatmeal, toast (with homemade jelly), green tea (290 calories)
Snack- chips, V8 (130 calories)
Lunch- tuna on crackers (multi grain), caramel rice cakes, V8 (400 calories)
Snack- veggie crisps (100 calories)
Dinner- baked chicken thighs, mashed potatoes, corn, fruit bar for dessert (400 calories)

Total Food Calories = 1320

Exercise
Stationary Bike (calorie burner program setting) 60:00 mins  422 cals burned

Total calories burned through exercise = 422

Total Deficit 1/4/2011:  2100-1320+422= 1,202 calories

Tip of the day:  Invest in a food scale.  They're expensive, but they're wonderful to have.  Bryan got me one in the UK and it's been a big help.  My scale will tell you how many calories, grams of fat, protein and other good things (adjusting to the weight) something has.  All you have to do is type in what you're looking for.  It weighs in oz/lbs, grams, and fluid oz.  Here's a picture of my scale...

Salter Nurti-Weigh Dietary Scale

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I'm excited for the girls to start school. I know they will love it! Are you looking for a FT or PT job? You should apply to an Ulta or Sephora. LOL! You would get employee discounts :p Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're just looking for a little extra money to help pay off a credit card faster so either would be fine. FT would be nice though. A little extra change in the pocket never hurt! I'm excited about the girls starting school. They're building it right at the end of our street. I can look out the window and see the construction going on right now.

    ReplyDelete