Friday, October 29, 2010

The Time Has Come...

For me to get a new pair of running shoes.  :(  *Sniffle*  I liked my shoes.  

You're supposed to get a new pair of shoes every 400-500 miles or at least that's the mileage I set for myself.  I haven't run even close to that much, but I didn't get these in the right size for running either.  You're supposed to buy your shoes (if you're planning to run in them) a half size bigger than your normal size to allow for swelling while running.  Mine are still in one piece (and still look new because of the colors I chose) which is great because I can wear them everyday if I want to switch up from my Reeboks.  I need to change them because I need a half a size bigger and a shoe that will support my feet better.  Right now I'm having a lot of problems keeping motivated while running because the back of my legs start hurting.  It's not my whole calf muscle though...just the bottom of it, right above my ankle.  Today after we got back from the gym it actually caused my foot to hurt when I was walking up the stairs.  That sucks! 

On a brighter note!  

I realized something the other day.  When I first started running with Bryan, I ran the PT test in 18+ minutes, which means I would have failed.  Oh well...I knew I was out of shape.  It was the point of starting to run!  That and to enjoy doing something with my husband that he loves.  When we ran Wednesday I did it in 13:57 and then again in 12:41.  So basically, I've managed to cut 5 minutes off of my run time!  That's extremely exciting.  

I've also come to find that running on the road is so much better for me personally.  It does tend to weigh more on my asthma, but that's why I have meds!  I believe all of the good far outweighs one little obstacle.
  • The scenery changes outside.  Let's face it...running on a treadmill can get very boring.  I have to use an iPod or watch tv or I just won't be able to get my mind off of not actually going anywhere.
  • You're propelling yourself (not being shoved along by a treadmill).  Better for your legs I believe.
  • My stride lengthens.   This is great.  I use up less energy when I can stretch out my legs more.
  • I don't feel boxed in.  It keeps me from being able to lengthen my stride.  Plus when you're boxed in you feel like if you make a mistake you'll end up on your face and then on the floor when you've been tossed right off of the machine!  Can't get tossed off of the road!
  • A lot of times you are running faster and don't realize it.  I know I felt like I was running slower outside...especially the second time around the block Wednesday. 
Anyway...that's about all I have to say.  I've got to start shopping around for a new pair of running shoes.  I may go to this store in Annapolis that custom fits your feet and runs tests to get you the right pair of shoes the first time.


Oh...before I go.  I'm thinking about just combining my two blogs together.  Might copy and paste the previous ones from "She Says" and start writing everything in this blog and change the name.  Good idea or bad idea?  It's hard to keep up with 4 kids and 2 blogs.  Thought it might be easier if I combined them and labeled my posts carefully.


No comments:

Post a Comment